Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority - Enriching Lives in the Community for 80 Years

Facebook icon

Twitter logo

Instagram logo

Follow us

Department Navigation

Printer icon

Moving Process

Moving vouchers are issued Monday through Thursday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. at CMHA’s main campus building, 8120 Kinsman Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44104


Starting February 21, 2015, CMHA's Housing Choice Voucher Program will be open for full service from 8 a.m. -5 p.m., the third Saturday of each month.  This includes services for land lords and participants.  There will be staff available to take care of your paper work to move into a new unit, issue vouchers, conduct annual recertifications, receive pending documents requested by your case worker, and you can submit documents if your income has changed. If you have further questions, please call 216.348.5000 or visit


Porting Into and Out of Cuyahoga County
Families with tenant-based vouchers can port or transfer their voucher to or from any housing authority in the United States or its territories. This is a great feature of the Housing Choice Voucher Program. It enables families to reside in their area of their choice and better access job opportunities, educational opportunities or to be nearer in location to friends and family.


  • To port into Cuyahoga County, attend a port-in session, held every Thursday at 9 a.m. or 2 p.m. Bring the following documents with you: birth certificates for all family members, social security cards for all family members, valid photo Ds for all adult family members age 18 and older, and proof of income for all household members. Please note that the originating housing authority must send the port paper work to CMHA before the family attends a session.
  • To port out of Cuyahoga County, attend a port-out session held every Friday at 9 a.m. or 2 p.m. Bring the following documents with you: birth certificates for all family members, social security cards for all family members, valid photo IDs for all adult family members age 18 and older, and a copy of your 30 day notice of intent to vacate or a letter from the landlord acknowledging your intent to vacate the unit.
  • All sessions are held at CMHA's Main Campus Building, 8120 Kinsman Road, Cleveland, Ohio, 44104.
  • For more information, contact Ms. Willis at 216-271-2583 (phone); 216-271-2681 (fax); or (email).


General Information:


Participants must first meet these requirements:

  • Have lived in their current unit for at least a year and be eligible to move under their current lease agreement

  • Have a current, complete annual recertification

  • All household members, age 18 and over, must pass a criminal background check

    • Failure to pass the criminal background check will result in proposal for termination from the program


To view the HCVP’s informational power point presentation for families who plan to move, click on the link provided.  Please be sure to view the presentation in “normal” view so that the notes portion is displayed.  The notes portion contains a narrative for each slide in the presentation.  Download the power point presentation PowerPoint icon


Please Note:

  • Receiving moving papers does not authorize participants to move into a new unit.

  • All new units must be approved through the HCVP Request for Tenancy Approval process.



Is the criminal background check done immediately?
Yes. If a member of the household fails the criminal background check the household will be proposed for termination from the program.  Any paperwork that has been submitted will be placed on hold. 


When can I begin looking for a new unit?
As soon as you receive your voucher.


How long do I have to find a unit?
There is a time limit of 120 days to go under contract in a new unit.  Reasonable accommodation requests will be evaluated on a case-by-case basis if more time is needed.


When can I move into my unit?
Participants can move after the unit passes the HQS inspection, the landlord accepts the proposed contract rent, and a move-in-date is approved by the HCVP.  No HAP will be paid by the HCVP for rental of the unit prior to the approved move-in-date.  Participants should move into their new unit no more than 5 days after the move-in-date approved by the HCVP. 


How long does it take for units to be approved?
Once the RFTA is submitted, the approval process generally takes 30-45 days to complete.  This process includes checking for foreclosure action, inspecting the unit, and performing the rent determination. 


What happens if either the owner or participant no longer wants to rent the unit?
If a move-in-date has not been approved by the HCVP, the participant or owner may cancel the RFTA at any time and the participant will be given new moving papers.  If either party wishes to cancel after the move-in-date has been approved, the HCVP must be notified in writing within 14 days.


If the participant does not obtain the keys to the new unit within 5 days of the effective date of the HAP contract, the HCVP may terminate the contract.  Failure to notify the HCVP may cause the participant to be proposed for termination from the voucher program.


When does the participant have to be out of their former unit?

Participants must ensure that all personal belongings are moved out of their former housing unit, and keys returned, as soon as possible.  Participants will be responsible for the total contract rent of their previous unit if all belongings are not moved out, and keys returned, by the end of the month in which the move-in date for the new housing is scheduled.