Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority Cuyahoga Metropolitan Housing Authority - Enriching Lives in the Community for 80 Years

Facebook icon

Twitter logo

LinkedIn logo

Instagram logo

YouTube logo

Follow us

Department Navigation

Printer icon

Frequently Asked Questions

Jump to: Participants | Landlords | HA Payment Check


How do I apply for HCVP?

If your family’s name is on the CMHA waiting list, we will begin to process your application when your name comes to the top of the list. You cannot, however, sign up for the HCVP Program at CMHA unless you were a successful “winner” in the lottery. Due to funding limitations, the HCVP waiting list is presently closed to new applicants. When it reopens, announcements will appear in the newspaper along with directions on how to apply for the lottery.


You may also apply for HCVP anywhere in the country where there is a housing authority with an open waiting list. Some housing authorities require you to live in their jurisdiction or area for the first year, and others allow you to use the HCVP voucher anywhere you want right away. You must check the policy of the housing authority where you apply. A list of other housing authorities in the United States is on the HUD web page at


I received a letter that I was chosen in the lottery. When do I get my voucher?

It could take several years for CMHA to process thousands of the families selected in the lottery. You must remember to keep your address current. If you move, please contact HCVP.


What are the income limits?

Income limits are established annually by HUD. The very low income guidelines are used to determine if the family is income-eligible for the Housing Choice Voucher Program. The PHA compares the gross annual income of the family to the applicable income limit for the household size. Families whose income exceeds the income limit will be denied admission to the program and offered an informal review.


The 2017 very low income limits for Cuyahoga County are:

Household SizeGross Annual Income
1 $23,800
2 $27,200
3 $30,600
4 $33,950
5 $36,700
6 $39,400
7 $42,100
8 $44,850


Do you have emergency housing assistance?

No. CMHA does not have any emergency housing in either its public housing or HCVP programs. The HCVP waiting list is currently closed. When it opens, announcements will appear in the newspaper. If you are interested in residing in one of CMHA’s public housing estates, call (216) 361-3700 to obtain an application.


May cousins, friends or others be added to the household after the voucher is issued?

Changes in family composition may affect the family’s eligibility and/or share of the rental payment. To be added, family members must be related by birth, adoption or court-awarded custody. All changes in family composition must be reported within 30 days of the change. The landlord must also be informed of additions to the household.


My voucher has expired. How do I get an extension?

Vouchers are issued for 120 days. We may extend the voucher for a longer period of time if a family requests an extension for a reasonable accommodation.


What do I need to do to get a signed contract?

HCVP requires a signed lease agreement between the owner and family. The contract and lease agreement must have the same term dates and monthly rent amounts. The unit must pass the HCVP inspection and the owner must agree to the amount of rent offered by HCVP.


Is there a rule about renting from your mother, father or other relatives?

The owner (including a principal or other interested party) may not be the parent, child, grandparent, grandchild, sister, brother or spouse of any member of the assisted family. Renting from a family member may be approved as a reasonable accommodation for a family member who is a person with disabilities. If CMHA grants such approval, the owner and family will be notified in writing.


Does CMHA pay the security deposit?

No. The security deposit is paid by the tenant.


When should I pay a security deposit?

Talk with the owner to determine when and if you must pay a security deposit. Get the return policy in writing, just in case you never sign a lease. Typically, security deposits are one month’s rent.


Who pays the utilities?

The owner and the tenant must decide who will be responsible for the payment of specific utilities. These responsibilities are outlined in the lease and contract.


How much money will HCVP pay for my home?

The owner should determine what rent they will charge for an unassisted tenant and request that amount. HCVP will compare the rent requested to other similar units. This comparison, the inspection results, and payment standards will determine what rent we can offer.


What is the tenant’s rent portion?

The tenant rent portion is stated on the initial Housing Choice Voucher contract. Any changes to the portion will be stated on a “Notice of Change to Lease and Contract” letter which will be mailed to the tenant and landlord after every income or household change. Tenant rent portion is affected by family income and the contract rent for the unit. In the first year of the contract, the tenant portion is between 30 - 40% of the family’s monthly adjusted income, depending upon the rent amount. After the first year of the contract, the rent may exceed 40%, depending upon the rent amount.


Why do I have to pay rent when I have HCVP?

HCVP is a rental assistance program, not a free rent program. The amount of assistance you receive is based on family income, family size, income deductions and the contract rent for the unit.


Can my tenant pay the extra rent to make up the amount I want for my unit?

No. The Housing Authority determines the tenant’s portion of the contract rent.


When can I move in?

You can move into a unit after the owner accepts the contract rent amount and a move-in date is established with CMHA.

topTop of page icon



Information of Interest to HCVP Participants

What is my caseworker’s name?

Your case worker is assigned to you based upon the first letter of your last name.  To find your case worker’s direct dial telephone number, fax number and email address, go to the applicant/participant portal on this website.  You will need either your CMHA client number or social security number.


When can I move to another unit?

After your Housing Choice Voucher contract has been in effect for a year or according to the terms of your lease with the owner, you may request moving papers from HCVP. You may not move during the first year of the contract. Movers sessions are held each Wednesday and Friday at 10 a.m. and 3 p.m. as well as at 10 a.m. the 3rd Saturday of each month. All sessions are held at CMHA’s main campus building, 8120 Kinsman Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44104.  For more information, contact your case worker by accessing his/her contact information available on the applicant/participant portal on this website.


You may use your HCVP voucher anywhere within Cuyahoga County, or you can transfer or “port” it to another housing authority within the United States. If you are interested in porting to another housing authority, contact Ms. Sherry Williams at (216) 271-2632. A list of other housing authorities in the United States is on the HUD web page at


How do I qualify for a utility check?

Whether or not a family receives a utility allowance check is determined by family income and the utilities for which the family is responsible. The tenant’s total payment (approximately 30% - 40%of their monthly adjusted income) includes the rent portion and utilities. If the tenant’s rent amount is less than the utility allowance for the unit, the family will receive the difference in a utility check.


The utility allowance is based on the typical cost of utilities and services paid by households that occupy housing of similar size and type in the same locality. Allowances are not based on an individual family’s actual energy consumption.


What date will my unit be inspected, and when will the inspector arrive?

For annual inspections, appointments are generally scheduled two weeks in advance. Inspections will be scheduled within a 2 hour time frame. Inspections for new contracts are scheduled within one week. Inspectors will arrive within the time frame specified in your appointment letter, either between 9 a.m. – 12 p.m. or 12:30 – 4 p.m.

Must I be present when the inspection occurs?

No. However, there must be a responsible adult present, age 18 or over, to let the inspector in. We advise it is in your best interest to be present for the initial inspection. This is an opportunity for you to find out firsthand why the unit may not be passing inspection. Also, it is an opportunity for you to ask questions and gain a better understanding of the HCVP Program.


I was not at home for my inspection. What do I have to do?

If the first inspection is missed, the unit will be failed and will automatically be scheduled for a second appointment. If tenant misses a second appointment, they will be proposed for termination from the HCVP. If landlords miss a second inspection, the unit will be placed in abatement.


In what circumstances can a participant ask for an informal hearing?

Any participant who is proposed for termination from the HCVP Program is entitled to an informal hearing. To receive an informal hearing, the participant must make a request, in writing, within 15 days of the notice of proposed termination. The written hearing request may be in the form of a short (1 or 2 sentence) letter, or the client may fill out a “request for hearing” form, which is available at 8120 Kinsman Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44104.

topTop of page icon



Information of Interest to HCVP Landlords

What do I have to do to qualify as a HCVP landlord?

The landlord has to be willing to participate in the HCVP program and have a unit that can pass inspection. Owners further qualify by attesting that they are not related to the assisted family, that they have not been debarred by HUD, and that they are the rightful owner of the property. This does not occur until the landlord selects a HCVP tenant. There is nothing an owner must do to pre-qualify or register as a landlord.


I want to list my unit for rent. How do I do that?

Landlords can list units for free, using links on the CMHA website at and


I requested a rent increase. When will it be effective?

Rent increase requests are processed in the order received.  Requests must be made on the form issued by the HCVP.  This form contains important information regarding HCVP procedures and requires the signature of both the owner and the client.  In order to process a rent increase, the contract must be at least one year old, and it must be one year since the latest rent increase request. Staff will also determine if the request meets the reasonable rent threshold.  The final step in the process requires the issuance and return of a lease addendum signed by both the owner and the tenant.  Once approved, the rent increase becomes effective on the first of the month, 60 days after the HCVP received the formal request.


How can I help my unit to pass the inspection the first time?

Click on the inspection checklist icon on this page.


Why was my rent or unit abated?

HCVP is required to inspect units annually. Rent is abated (stopped) when units fail to pass on two consecutive inspections. The unit will be taken out of abatement if it passes the third and final inspection. To help ensure your unit passes the first time, review the inspection checklist.


I want to evict my tenant. What do I have to do?

HCVP cannot give legal advice. We recommend you seek the advice of an attorney. If the unit is in the City of Cleveland, you may contact a Cleveland Housing Court Specialist with your questions. The telephone numbers of Housing Court Specialists are: (216) 664-6104, (216) 664-6143 and (216) 664-6929. Landlords and tenants are required to give HCVP a copy of any eviction notice.

Ohio law requires the landlord not receive payment during the eviction process. Upon request from a landlord, HCVP will put HAP payments on hold until we are notified by the landlord that the eviction process is complete. If the tenant remains in the unit during the eviction process, and the unit is not in abatement, the landlord may receive all withheld HAP payments, whether or not the landlord won or lost the eviction. HCVP requests copies of “for-cause” court judgments from landlords so that the tenant can be proposed for termination.


How can I get paid for tenant caused damages?

HCVP does not pay for tenant caused damages. Landlords should bill tenants directly (if the tenant still resides in the unit) or take the amount from the security deposit (if the tenant has moved). If the security deposit is insufficient, we recommend the landlord pursue the tenant in court.


If, as a result of court action, there is a “for-cause” judgment, the landlord should provide HCVP with a copy so the tenant can be held responsible.

topTop of page icon



Your HCVP Housing Assistance Payment Check

When will I receive my check?

If it is a new contract, you will be paid on the next scheduled check run after we have received all three copies of the signed contracts. HCVP will not pay subsidy before the contract terms have been agreed upon. If the owner permits the tenant to move into the unit, the tenant will be responsible for the full amount of the rent and HCVP will not pay the back amount retroactively.


If the unit was in abatement and recently passed inspection, you will be paid on the next scheduled check run, usually within 10 days. Check runs are on the 1st and 15th of each month. There is no retroactive payment for the time a unit was in abatement.


The tenant has been in the unit, and I have not received payment. Why?

Payment cannot be made prior to the unit having passed the inspection. After the passed inspection, HCVP will make a rent offer to the landlord, and if the landlord accepts, contracts are prepared for signature. Payment on the signed contract will be mailed after the next scheduled check run, usually within 10 business days.


The contract has been cancelled, but the tenant is still living in my unit. Can I get paid?

Participants are responsible for all rent once the contract is cancelled.


I didn’t receive a check this month. Why not?

There could be several reasons why you did not receive a check this month. If the unit is in abatement (two failed inspections) payments are stopped until repairs are made, and the unit passes an inspection. If this is a new contract, the signed contracts may have been returned too late to make the check run. You will be paid on the next check run, in approximately 10 days. If your tenant has had a recent re-exam, his/her income may have increased to a level where he/she is no longer eligible for HCVP assistance. If this is the case, you will receive a letter from the HCVP office regarding the changes.


Why was money deducted from my check?

If you owed us money from a previous tenant, and this is your first HCVP contract since that time, we have deducted the money owed from your new tenant’s contract. If the unit was in abatement, we may be taking back subsidy paid during the abatement period.


Can my HAP check be direct deposited to my account?

Yes.  All new owners are required to go on direct deposit to receive HAP payments, and existing owners are encouraged to sign-up for direct deposit.  To sign-up, complete the form found on the HCVP documents web page entitled, "Automatic Deposit," and return it by mail to HCVP Finance at 8120 Kinsman Road, Cleveland, Ohio 44104

topTop of page icon