CMHA honors the officers who have lost their lives from the lines of duty in a memorial called The Greater Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial. Located at the corner of West 3rd St. and Lakeside Ave in downtown Cleveland in the historic Huntington Park, the memorial was dedicated on May 14, 1993. The site once housed Fort Huntington, built to defend Cleveland during the War of 1812, and it is only fitting that now it serves to both honor those who continue to protect, and those who have died protecting our lives and property.
Each May, the Society sponsors the Greater Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial Celebration in conjunction with National Police Week and Peace Officers Memorial Day. Events include a parade through downtown Cleveland followed by a service at the memorial.
Constructed of black polished granite, the memorial occupies almost 1,000 square feet. The structure consists of a curved wall that slopes gently from two feet high upward to six feet semi-surrounding three granite tablets. The three tablets inside the curved wall measure seven feet wide, 12 feet high and two feet thick and e ach bears the name, law enforcement agency, and date of death of each of the 172 area peace officers who have died in the line of duty.
One of the premier events is the Greater Cleveland Peace Officers Memorial Tattoo. In the time-honored tradition of the military tattoo, the pipes & drums of numerous police departments throughout the United States and Canada, as well as marching bands, drill teams, dance and choral groups, combine their talents in a spectacular display of pageantry and music. The law enforcement community and the general public gather together in remembrance, fellowship and celebration to indeed "Honor our Fallen".
||End of Watch
||Derrik M. Lanier
||Alcee S. McCray