Leasing with CMHA
Thank you for your interest in CMHA’s Housing Choice Voucher Program! The following steps summarize the process to become a successful HCVP landlord. Please note that CMHA does not have a pre-approval process for landlords or units.
- Advertise Your Property on Affordablehousing.com or OhioHousingLocator.org: You may list properties free of charge. You may also wish to advertise your property through a newspaper or alternative source. If so, please place in your ad that "vouchers are welcome.”
- Screen Prospective Tenants: It is the landlord’s responsibility to screen prospective HCV tenants just as you would any other tenant.
- Submit Request for Tenancy Approval Packet (RFTA) provided to you by HCV Family: The packet should be submitted via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or via our kiosks in our Main Campus Lobby.
- Accept Rent Offer: After reviewing the packet, CMHA will conduct a rent determination. If you accept the rent offer, we will move to schedule an HQS Inspection.
- Pass Housing Quality Standards Inspection (HQS): CMHA will set a date with you to inspect the unit. HQS requirements can be found in the HUD HQS Inspection Checklist available through the following link: HQS Inspection Checklist.
- Sign HAP Contract and Lease: Once the inspection has passed, a move-in date will be established. CMHA will provide you with the Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) Contract to sign. You will provide CMHA a copy of your executed lease with your new tenant.
Rental Registration/Certificate of Compliance
CMHA is required to obtain copies of Certificate of Occupancy permits and/or Rental Registrations for the following suburbs. If you are submitting an RFTA for a unit in one of these cities, please ensure you have a copy of the appropriate permit.
- Bedford Heights
- Brook Park
- Cleveland Heights
- Cuyahoga Heights
- East Cleveland
- Fairview Park
- Garfield Heights
- Maple Heights
- Shaker Heights
- South Euclid
- University Heights
- Warrensville Heights